Thursday 15 May 2008

Charger Saga

Or should that be "sarger chaga"!?

I have been without a mobile phone for what must be a month now as the charger lead broke - not entirely, but it definitely wasn't working! I tried to charge the phone using the car charger on the way over to Cambridge but that wasn't particularly effective, in fact, it was useless! (mind you, it did give me just enough power for me to be alerted to Mum and Dad's arrival at the B&B so that I could let them in!)

When I tried to track down a new charger I had the most abysmal success - not one phone shop had the lead I wanted. I had all kinds of suggestions like "try the stall in the market" (no they didn't have anything either) or "try ebay", which made me wonder about why it should be so difficult to get hold of a phone charger.

Of course, it all made sense when I realised that the company that made my phone - Sendo in case you're wondering - went belly-up in about 2003. It just goes to show how unaware I am of the latest thing in phones that I didn't realise that the phone that I have isn't compatible with anything!

But it still works, and I have about £20 worth of credit on it and as I only use the phone for texting (and not all that often either) I decided to rummage around on the internet to see what I could find and fortunately I didn't even have to go as far as ebay as I found a company that sells phone chargers.

Now that I have one that works, I can be reunited with my phone, however, it does make me wonder why oh why can't leads be standardised. I mean if they can make standard USB leads and stuff (or create connectors that work) then why can't they have standard charging leads for mobile phones! Naturally I realise that this is a stupid question as it is all to do with profit!

At the end of the day though, I don't need a new, fancy, bells-and-whistles phone and the (sendo!) phone still works, so I am going to stick with it for as long as I can!

1 comment:

Alice said...

I usually stick with my phone for a long, long time. I do appreciate one that takes beautiful pics like the Sony Ericsson Cybershot phones (with Zenon flash).