Wednesday 1 October 2008

Houston Calling!!

An update on the Black Hole situation - today was the first day of my attempt to beat the Black Hole into submission!

The most difficult bit was when I first got home, I'd fed the cat, gotten changed into comfy jeans and made a cup of tea. The impulse to turn the television on was surprisingly strong, I didn't think that I would feel as though I'd almost have to physically restrain myself from turning the telly on!

Instead, I picked up a book to read (Nicholas Evans - The Divide) and read for about an hour, then I decided to go and work on some of my portfolio of reflection for the course that I am doing, which I have been working on for nearly two hours in between bits of online reading.

And right now, the television's siren call has been muted to quite the whisper! My main issue is not starting with the telly in the first place - if I get started with other things then I am more like to get on with non-telly stuff.

Mind you, I am well aware that this is only the first day and it could either get easier or harder, I just don't know yet! Fortunately I have a nice (?!) stack of reading to do - none of the books DON'T have the word Leadership in them!! Let me list a few - Servant Leadership; Dilemmas of Leadership; Three Faces of Leadership; and Leadership Unplugged. Ho hum! Still, that should be half the battle in keeping me off the telly unless the books are so dry and dense that they drive me to it!!

3 comments:

Scribbit said...

I'm a sucker for a cheesy thriller--John Grisham, Dan Brown--the cheesier the better when I'm in the mood for junk food.

Alice said...

Totally MBA. Enjoy! LOLOL.

Wishing 4 One said...

Darn that blackhole.... I think most of us have the same things in our house.....good luck.