Monday 29 September 2008

Getting sucked in!

I have discovered that there is a Black Hole in my house. It is called the television!

After two years of working in the evenings I am very pleased to have my evenings to myself again, except that I have been sucked by the aforementioned black hole. When I come home in the evenings, I feed the cat, get changed, make a cup of tea and plonk myself down in my oversized armchair.

Then all of a sudden it is 10pm and time to think about going to bed! I get nothing done and feel as though I have wasted a whole evening. Sometimes there are evenings when it is about as much as I can do to park myself in front the television and just do nothing. But for the most part I do think that it is wasted time and that I could be doing so much more.

While I will never regain that lost time (woe is me!) I think that I will carry out a little experiment for the month of October where television between Mondays and Thursdays will be banned! I am not quite up to banning it in total, especially not when I have recently paid for a new digital box thingie that allows me to get a bunch of rubbish channels for free. Also, I do think that Friday evenings and weekends should be exempt so that I can have some down time and then it will become a treat for me instead of something that I do each and every day.

Of course, this isn't quite as big a challenge as it could be if I am going to allow myself television for three days out of seven, but like I said, I just don't think that I could do that as I would go stark staring mad without something to watch over the weekend!

I shall keep you informed as to how this works, i.e. what I do in the evenings instead of television and whether I eventually end up going to bed at 7pm cos there's nothing to do!! ha ha!

3 comments:

Trace said...

Good luck with that!!! I have the exact same problem. :)

Trace

Alice said...

Don't watch so much television! You're supposed to study... LOL.

Anonymous said...

As you're doing a course now technically you are a student and are therefore expected to waste lots of time watching rubbish tv. It's one of the rules :o)