Friday 12 September 2008

Musings

Fridays are Fat Ticker Fridays over at Baby Tea Leaves, however, not only are we treating the body like a temple as we are also being asked to improve the mind by pondering on a few questions...
What do you want your legacy to be? Or rather, what is it about yourself that you want to be known for? And do you think you've accomplished that so far in your life? Are you the person you want to be? If not, how will you get there?
Legacy?! It's a kinda odd question to think about because I just don't see myself that way, I don't think of myself as having such a thing as a legacy, particularly as I tend to view legacies as being things like a community hall named after yourself! But then again, we all leave our own imprint on the world in one way or another, and in far less tangible ways. For instance there is the speech therapist that I still think of very fondly and I know that without her I would still have a very bad stutter - her legacy means a lot to me.

Anyway - the real question is what is it about myself that I want to be known for and even that I struggle a bit with as I get no further than wanting to be remembered simply for who I am as I have no desire to reach the giddy heights of Director or "Super Manager" because that is very definitely not me. Instead I want to be known for the daughter, sister, and friend that I am, and perhaps even one day to be remembered for the mother that I could be, but in the meantime I am quite happy to be a good Auntie!!

All of the those descriptions of me are all works in progress - I have moments when I am not the daughter I should be, or the friend that forgets to send a birthday card, so I can never say that I have attained the place that I want to be. I do, however, recognise that this is something that will always need work, or at least the shape of what I am changes as the people that I connect with changes, certainly as my niece and nephew grow up my relationship with them will change as I am not the same Auntie to them when they are two as they will be when they are twelve or twentytwo!

So, essentially, I want to be remembered for being ME and I know that I have to work at that because not nobody, even with the best will in the world, can be a good person all the time.

Oh, did you want to know what my Fat Ticker says? Nothing. I weigh no more or less than I did on Monday!! At least I haven't put on any more, but I could certainly do more to ensure that my shirts aren't gaping in the wrong places!

3 comments:

Christie O. said...

That's a wonderful answer! I asked that question because I think about it a lot in my life and in my everyday. And I too hope to be the best person I can be in the many hats I wear. And congrats on the no change too! I'll take that any day over a gain!! :)

Tiffers said...

I think this is the best post I've read so far! EXCELLENT answer.

Alice said...

Great answer, Sam. I toy with this some times too. We are good in our unique ways and people remember us for that.