Wednesday 10 September 2008

Discombobulated!

Yesterday's journey home was a bit of an adventure!

After I left work and drove down the motorway, I got to the roundabout that leads to the road into my village, and it's pretty much the main road into that village. So, you can imagine just how disconcerted I was to find that there was a police car blocking the road! It's quite strange actually just how taken aback I was, my first thought was "how on earth am I going to get home now" and I had no real solution except to panic (not too much mind you!).

When a habit is so ingrained, it really does cause some consternation when you can't do what you've always done! Anyway, if I'd been thinking a little more clearly I would have turned right at the roundabout and gone the shorter way home. But no, I turned left, which was actually the easier option as I was already in the left hand lane - turning right would have meant crossing very entangled traffic due to the blockage ahead.

I drove home using roads that I have never used before, which made for a rather interesting journey! I did have to stop and look at a map just to make sure that I was taking the right turnings when they appeared. Of course, the closed road meant that everyone was doing the same thing and I am sure that as we trundled down this narrow country lane everybody that passed us going the other way must have wondered what on earth was going on!

The cat must have wondered where I was when I finally arrived home an hour later than usual, and the blockage holding every body up? It was a collision between a bunch of cars and a lorry and I gather that that although people were hurt no-one was killed, so that's a good thing.

1 comment:

Mrs. Spit said...

I had that problem tonight.

A bunch of guys were surveying. Standing in the middle of the intersections. Argh.