Wednesday 25 June 2008

Password protected posts

I can't quite get my head around password protected posts. All blogs can be set up to be accessible by chosen people only if that's what you want to do, but the Wordpress platform takes this further as it offers the option to password protect individual posts!

Blogger doesn't have this facility, although I could set up my blog only for those with a Google account or even selected people with Google accounts, but this is different to individually protected posts, more of which below....

I totally understand that there are some things that perhaps you don't want certain people to read, but what I can't quite grasp is that if those people are regular readers of your blog and want to read your protected post and ask you for the password you will have to deny them. Which would strongly suggest to that individual that you've been talking about them, or perhaps merely about a subject that they violently disagree with! (although I think that most people would be inclined to jump to the conclusion that you are talking about them - we are all paranoid in that way!!)

Anyway, my point is that this seems to be the equivalent of whispering behind cupped hands and wouldn't this be more hurtful? I am very much in two minds about this as I feel that you should be able to say what you want (to a point) without having to censor your thoughts, but at the same time we still need to show the courtesey that we would normally show in every day life, or if you are quite up front and open about your thoughts and feelings in real life then you should be the same on your blog!

I am very conscious that my family and friends read this blog and so I try not to say things that could be inflammatory or upsetting, and I know that if I want to vent about certain issues (whether about work, family, life or whatever!) then I will have to find another forum or medium where I can do so. The other alternative is to be scrupulously honest and then have to deal with the consequences and as this blog names names I don't feel that this is the right place to be so honest that it's painful! Of course, that's not to say that I lie on this blog! :-)

So....what do you think? What is your opinion of password protected posts? Do you see them as a life-saver where you know who has access to the protected post and can therefore say exactly what you want? Or do you see them as being contrary to the ethos of blogging? I would love to know what you think, particularly as I don't quite get it myself!!

2 comments:

Trace said...

I'm not quite sure on this one myself. I did have wordpress once and started to password protect posts where I posted pictures of family and friends. But prior to doing that I actually posted a warning on my blog and asked everyone who wanted the password to let me know and I gave it to them. I wasn't bitching or venting, they were just private pictures that I didn't want turing up in weird internet searches. In the end, it didn't work for me and I made the decision not to use names or post pictures of me,family or friends.

I don't vent about family or work although sometimes I would LOVE to. But I worry what would happen if they ever read it. So I then vent in person. Heh. Although there is something at the moment that I'd love to blog about but I can't (hence a recent cryptic post) but even if it was password protected or a private blog I still wouldn't post the story.

None of what I just typed makes sense! Sorry for the rambling!! :)

Literary Feline said...

I agree with you and I have wondered about the password protected posts too. I do understand keeping a private blog open to a few select people but not individual posts.

Like you, I do not know who will be reading my blog and so I am very careful about what I disclose. Sometimes I do wish I could be more open in my reviews about how they have impacted me more personally, but I don't want to take a chance of stepping over that line. But then, I do keep a reading journal and am always able to add the extra personal thoughts there--and keep it out of my blog reviews.