Monday 16 June 2008

Fallen

It is not often that I am moved to tears by a simple public spectacle.

Today, police cars stopped traffic as a procession of five black cars made their way through the village - each hearse carrying the coffin of a fallen soldier, each coffin drapped in the Union Jack.

The bodies of two 20 year olds, two 19 year olds and one 29 year old were flown back home today.

If I'd lived anywhere else but near that Air Force Base, I would never have seen that procession, if I had been five minutes earlier, I would have wondered why there were police cars all over the place, if I had been five minutes later, I would have wondered why traffic was a bit heavy.

I wish I'd never seen it and yet we should all see it so that we can remind ourselves of what is happening, that young men and women are putting their lives at risk whilst carrying out their job.
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning We will remember them"

7 comments:

Katie said...

So sad.

Anonymous said...

It has always disturbed me greatly the sacrifice and loss of such young men and women.

Thanks for sharing.
NCLM

DC said...

Police and military funerals get me every time. I wish all the troops could just come home!

Anonymous said...

Oh Sam, your post is short but so moving. I can see it in my mind's eye and it makes me weepy too. Is that kind of thing covered in the media where you are? Because it seems to never be mentioned here. Or maybe I'm just not close enough to a military base or post.

Anonymous said...

You are right-they deseve our utmost respect and honor.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful post. I've attended fire dept. funerals and I get the same feeling from them, especially when the person was very young.

I'm constantly amazed, grateful, and proud that young people today willingly choose to serve their country knowing full well the risk involved. Thank you to all to all of them.

Anonymous said...

This was a swet, sad, and important post to write. THanks for sharing.

And thx for the support on my blog about the dumb fertile comment. I agree, having beliefs in reincarnation or whatever is fine, her business and all, but no belief system that I know of condones saying such hurtful things!