Sunday 3 August 2008

Leaving presents

My show and tell this week is all about leaving presents!! As you may know, I left my evening job for the last time on Thursday evening. I'd been working there for nearly two years and was getting rather fed up of not spending time at home in the evenings, so I handed in my notice.

The last day at work is always a bit odd, people start gathering and standing around in purposeful groups, still chatting away whilst trying to remain nonchalant. It never works! We all know why we are there and what's about to happen, but no-one ever openly says so - it's rather amusing!! It's even more amusing when you realise that I work from 5:30pm to 10pm and that most people have gone home by the time I am ready to start work.

Anyway, I was "surprised" with the most lovingly wrapped present, a lovely blue paper with elephants printed on it and green tissue stuffed in the ends, all tied with gold string. I opened it to find a handbag! One that is big enough for all my needs plus the novel that I usually carry around with me!!


The card that came with it was full of really nice comments such as "who is going to shut off the upstairs lights on students now?" - hardy har har very funny, and "how are you going to fill those cold winter evenings now" - don't worry, I'll find something! And, "I will miss your cheerful smile" - people are so nice, in fact two people made similar comments, which makes me think that I should smile far more often!

But that wasn't even the end of it! I was expecting to simply leave at 10pm having closed up the library for the last time. However, about five or six of my colleagues who live nearby all came back at about ten to ten with a bottle of non-alcoholic bucks fizz (I had to drive home after all!) and proceeded to toast me and my last day at work. Now wasn't that sweet of them?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, what a lovely gesture! Unexpected presents are always the best kind!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

That was really sweet (and I'm actually coveting the bag!). It's nice to leave on a sweet note.

Wishing 4 One said...

How very nice of them. That bag is fabulous too!

Mara said...

That is so sweet of them! And that bag is awesome, too!

Melody said...

That's so nice of them! I love the bag too. :)

battynurse said...

That is very nice. That last day of work is always a strange one.

Malky B. said...

Nice bag, what a sweet send off.

Heather said...

How nice to know they really enjoyed working with you! That must have felt really nice. I'm sure you'll think of them every time you use that bag. =)

Unknown said...

Ahhh - they love you; they really, really love you!

Alice said...

What fabulous bag! Looks like you'll make good use of it. :)

CappyPrincess said...

Wow. Very nice of the gang - shows how much they love and appreciate you. Enjoy the memories (and the bag!)