Thursday 21 August 2008

For want of an S

It's probably just me, but I have great difficulty in distinguishing between desert and dessert.

Now, I am clearly far less likely mention the desert as I am to ask for dessert, but that doesn't mean that I say the right word, which means that I am more likely to say pudding or sweet or "yummy things" ok, so I don't say the last one, but you see what I am getting at here.

So, I want to know...how do you pronounce dessert or even desert and how do you remind yourself of how to pronounce either, do you even bother to use words as fancy as dessert or do you, like me, stick to the plainer versions of pudding/sweet?

Most words I can eventually work out how to say correctly, once I knew that fascinating had four syllables not five, I stopped saying "fanasticating", and I will always have trouble with words like ships/chips as I find it hard to distinguish between sh and ch, but it's only my extremely annoying family that notices (and points out!) this, most people don't even notice. But dessert? This one constantly eludes me!

I shall stop there as even the spelling of des(s)ert is beginning to look wrong as I've typed it out enough times!!

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy ICommLeavWe!
DESSERT, pronounced DEE-zert by me, is easy to remember...it's the one w/ 2 "s"! Which do you want more of "dessert" or "desert"?

Mrs. Spit said...

I remember dessert has an extra s, because desserts have more fat, and therefore more sin in them. Works for me.

I pronounce dessert much more like the word desert.

Erin said...

Here from ICLW! I have trouble with pronoucing lots of words. If I have never seen a word written before and then I do I usually can't say it. I may even know the meaning of the word.

My parents have funny ways of pronouncing things because they grew up in the northern part of the state. They say sundae like sundee. It's funny.

kateypie35 said...

Here from ICLW...

This post hurt my brain a little bit...

deSSERT (I put the accent on the ERT) is yummy, so you want more, so there are too S's (second helping)..

DEHsert (accent on DEH) is very very hot...makes you say EH, I need some water...

alicia said...

ha ha I love mrs.spits answer!!

now I want some dessert, like cake, or choclate or pudding!!

here from ICLW, but I know we have chatted before!

Fifty K said...

here from ICLW. Great blog. There are some words that still get me now and then. No advice though, sorry.

In Due Time said...

Coming over from ICLW...

I have a harder time spelling them, than SAYING them!

Danifred said...

I always get caught up on choose, chose and loose, lose.
ICLW

Jaymee said...

DEE-zert is the super yummy stuff.
DE-zert the super hot sandy place.

(ILCW)

Alice said...

Now Mrs Spit gives me a whole new way of looking at dessert (pronounced as dee-zert) LOL

Anonymous said...

Howdy from ICLW!

I say dessert and desert in a similar manner. The only thing that changes is where I put the emphasis. For dessert, I emphasize the last syllable. For desert, it's the first. Now I see what you mean about the words looking funny after typing them a few times! ;)

dmarie said...

My problem is I can't remember the spelling of each. I usually have to look it up :)

Wishing 4 One said...

I usually say Dee-zert for dessert. Don't remember any of the rules, just how to say it properly, I think anyway.

Kristin said...

The English language is truly screwed up...LOL.

CappyPrincess said...

Here's what I was always taught:

Dee zert has a double ss (like strawberry shortcake) and is something yummy.

Deh zert has a single s (like sand) and is something very hot and dry.

Hope that helps.


iclw

Anonymous said...

Here from ICLW.

I agree with the others, Dee - Zert