Tuesday 12 August 2008

First Time Traveller

These last few months have been rather fun for me as I watch my youngest brother make his plans for travelling abroad.

It's not for the first time as he has been abroad for holidays to France and Italy, but this time he will be going to India for three months to volunteer at an orphanage called The Love Care Centre.

Matt leaves on September 5th and comes home in late November I think and these last few weeks he's been getting all his shots and making sure that he has the right bits of kit and all that sort of thing.

It's been fun to watch because of the all the hope and promise that is bound up in a young adult life that could go anywhere. Matt has decided that he is a traveller and wants to do more travelling eventually and so who knows where he might go next.

He is worried about his future of course and whether travelling will mean that he wont be as settled later in life, but instead of being rich in the monetary things, Matt will end up being rich in the things that matter; character, experience, knowledge of other cultures, not to mention the sheer terror and fun of doing something that takes you out of your comfort zone!

Although I have travelled myself, albeit not in the sense that I mean here as I have never gone out of my comfort zone (not truly, despite being terrified to go to Copenhagen and be away from my family for the longest time ever!) as I have only gone to places where I know that I can get by. Going to India is very definitely outside my comfort zone and I very much doubt that I would ever do that, but that's ok because there are plenty of other places that I can explore!

So, all I can say to Matt is....have a great time, write it all down, and tell me all about it when you get home!

1 comment:

Marie said...

I wan't to travel. I wish that I would have been more independant before bills,kids,marriage etc. I think that it is very good for him to get it out and truely live for himself for a while.

I hope he has a great time.