Wednesday 27 August 2008

Keyboard ingenuity!

If there is one key on your keyboard that you can just about get away with not using, it's C.

Mum's laptop is gradually breaking down as it succumbs to old age and the latest fatality is C. I had an email from Mum today with words in it like sekond, kool, resieved, exsept and whitsh - all of which made perfect sense! I don't think that there are many letters in the alphabet that can be exchanged for another and still make sense.

However, if any of your passwords contain that very C then you are in trouble!!

Updated to add that baby brother has a very very good point - nearly every website ends with .Com - which makes losing the C key a pain in the bum!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm having problems with the K on my laptop, but fortunately, I've been using the desktop to make posts!

Matthew said...

I would totally disagree with that, being that I was trying to use the internet on mum's computer, and *everything* is ".com" !! Made EVERYTHING 10 times harder and take 10 times longer.

Jessica White said...

Very true! There are a lot of words for which C can be replaced, and at the same time C is commonly used and can't be replaced.

ICLW

Alice said...

Oh headache!...

lub said...

That's an interesting thought! (ICLW)

Anonymous said...

wow. your mum is resourceful! Anyhow, it might just be some crumbs stuck under the C - nothing that a good cleaning cannot solve. Maybe....

Anonymous said...

You should read "Ella Minnow Pea" by Mark Dunn!! It's all about the deconstruction of the english language through the loss of letters. Brilliant.

Heather said...

LOL Well at least she is creative, eh?

Anonymous said...

C is a hard letter to lose, you're right! This laptop I'm using is pretty old (2000 I think) but so far I haven't lost any crucial letters. Knock on wood.

Wishing 4 One said...

I like how your mom substituted the letters she did. I am lucky no keys have went out on my laptop yet. But I sure have seen my share of bad, realy bad keyboards in my travels to one too many net cafes...