Friday 31 August 2007

ewgh!

I just don't like spiders! I don't mind the teeny tiny ones cos I can handle those, it's the big ones that freak me out!! So, when I saw this enormous web created by lots of spiders, you can imagine the shudders that went down my back!

I don't know quite what it is about spiders that make me go all funny, I have even dreamt that they were on my pillow, woken up and gone looking for them, only to realise that it must have been a dream because I could see the spider on the pillow and so how could I have seen it in bright light when my room is actually pitch black!?

Anyway we all have our phobias that seem perfectly rational to us and completely irrational to others!! Sometimes it is obvious that there is a link to our primitive brain, I mean - it makes sense to be frightened of snakes cos there are poisonous ones about! But I hardly think that there are any poisonous spiders in the United Kingdom, so quite where this fear comes from I don't know!

Enough about spiders, I am beginning to go a bit tingly!

1 comment:

oneperfectyear said...

Yeah, but there aren't *really* any poisonous snakes in the UK either. Ok, so I think there's maybe one species, but how often do you see it? No, I think if we're talking about race-memory then it's just as valid an argument for spiders - lots of poisonous spiders around the world, and we could have picked up a fear of them from hundreds and thousands of years ago.

On the other hand, it could just be the way they move about - eurgh!