Monday 5 October 2009

Reading Group

Tonight I attended the first gathering of a new reading group that has been set up in the local public library.  If I ever had any idea that reading was generally not a  male hobby…I had it confirmed this evening – all fourteen people were female.  That’s right – not one man – perhaps they all thought that we’d be blue stocking snobs!

Oh well – we spent an hour and a half talking about how we wanted this group to be organised and telling everybody about our favourite books/authors.  Before the evening we were all told to bring a copy of our favourite book so that we could at least tell everybody about it.

All day I’d been thinking about what book to bring – should I be pretentious and bring something like The Pickwick Papers, should be low brow and bring Harry Potter, should I aim for the middle ground and bring a book by Bryce Courtenay?  (all of which I have enjoyed reading!!)  In the end I decided to go with honesty and bring one of my Nora Roberts books – just because they are romances doesn’t mean that I can’t tell everybody that they are my favourite books despite some people sneering at them.

And…..someone else at the group had also brought along one of her Nora books!!!!  Vindicated!!!!!

Anyway, over the next few months we are going to be reading the following….Small Island by Levy; Spies by Frayn; To kill a mockingbird by Lee; The Island by Hislop; and we start off with the Number One Ladies Detective Agency by McCall.  I have not read any of those so I am looking forward to this.

6 comments:

Alice said...

Sam, I hope you'll enjoy To Kill a Mockingbird! Happy reading to you!

Mrs. Spit said...

There are some of my favourite books in there!

Reluctant Blogger said...

Oh I think men do read they just don't like to gather in groups to talk about reading. Perhaps if the meeting had been in a pub, a few might have shown up!!!?

I love To Kill a Mockingbird. I was in love with Atticus from the minute I read it!

* said...

Love love love 'To Kill a Mockingbird'

Have fun at your book club meeting.

Celia said...

Love Number One Detective!

So funny!

Have always wanted to be part of a reading group....

Anonymous said...

you're going to enjoy those books.