Saturday 16 May 2009

Jelly legs!

It has been a long long time since I have been out on a bicycle! I have been thinking for quite some time now that I should cycle to work and kill several birds with one stone - health and money mostly.

But...I haven't ridden a bike for at least four years. So when I hauled my bike out from under the tarpaulin I saw that it needed a bit of a service, so I took it to the local bike shop just down the road and he sorted it out for me.

I collected the bike today and decided that I should take it out for a spin. I was only out for about 15 minutes and probably covered just over a mile, but that was enough (plenty enough) for me for a first day out.

Clearly I need to build up a bit of strength before I even think about cycling to work, but at least I know that I can still ride a bike!! Those thigh and knee muscles certainly remembered what to do even if they did complain a bit.

P.S. This fab little website called Mapmyrun actually reveals that I did a fraction over two miles!!

4 comments:

Alice said...

Good for you, Sam! Keep it up!

Matthew said...

I'm in the same boat. It's like you *only* use those muscles for cycling, and nothing else. So when you're not cycling, those muscles just die.
I could only make it to the top of Westfield Lane.

Matthew said...

I HAVE TO GET MY COMMENTS APPROVED?!?!?!?! WHAT KIND OF TOTALITARIAN, BIG BROTHER STATE IS *THIS* ?!?!

Sam said...

sorry - I started moderating comments when I got hit with loads of spam!!