Sunday 14 February 2010

Salus Per Aquam….

….apparently stands for Spa, which is where we were on Saturday!  (although this acronym may not actually be true)

Mum, my sister-in-law, and almost sister-in-law arrived at my house Friday night, all ready and eager for a spa day on Saturday followed by lunch and a bit of shopping – a real girls weekend.
We had a rather early start on Saturday morning because we knew that if we left it too late, we would have to queue for much longer at the Thermae Bath Spa.  (Which, believe it or not, is actually on “Hot Bath Street”!

It was glorious, we had two hours of sitting in the thermal waters or in the steam rooms.  The great thing is that one of the thermal pools is actually an open air pool, and even better is that is it is a rooftop open air pool so you can sit in the warm water and look out over Bath!!  It was a bit cold though so you really had to make sure that you sat well down in the water and not let your ears get too cold.  ;-)  The steam room were fabulous – there were four different large glass rooms with stone benches and they each had different aromas – lavender, eucalyptus, mint, and menthol – the menthol was just far too strong for me and my eyes didn’t like it, but it was lovely to sit in the lavender room and just sit and absorb the steam.

bath spa
After we’d dried off and were feeling quite invigorated and refreshed we went and had a look at the Royal – as seen above! It was a bit difficult to find lunch – we had intended to have lunch at Jamie’s Italian, but the queue put us off and so we just went and found a little place that was rather amusing cos they didn’t quite seem to have their act together, but the food was ok!

We got home that evening feeling quite exhausted and so we had a pajama evening with lots of wine, food and DVDs!  We watched Coco Before Chanel which took us by surprise because we weren’t expecting the film to be French with English subtitles, although, on thinking about it, we should probably have realised.  ;-)

In any case, we had a fabulous weekend and we would love to try and make this a regular event.  Even if we don't, I have another spa weekend to look forward to in a couple of months and the future sister-in-law wants a spa weekend for a hen weekend!!

8 comments:

Gera Scott Chandler said...

Hi Sam- you're a winner in my OWOH draw! Please email me at amusedcreations@shaw.ca for info!

cheers!
gera

Heckety said...

What a lovely day out! I never went to the new Spa but often to the Roman Baths as they fascinated me, and the photo of the Royal Crescent brought back memories as I lived in Russell Street for three years- through the Circus, out the opposite side from the Crescent and up the next hill! I went to College in Bath!

Twiglet said...

Your weekend sounds lovely. Thanks for checking out my bookshelves - I would have tidied them if I had realised they would be scrutinised so closely!!!

kim said...

Oooo-- This sounds heavenly-- especially looking out over the city while in your spa. Have always wanted to go to Bath! Wish I could have a 'hen' weekend.

Jessica said...

I got the cards yesterday! They are so beautiful, thank you so much!!

Alice said...

Glad you had fun! And oooh ooh... I did something spa-ish also but it's only a pedicure. For the FIRST time in my life!

Carole Burant said...

Hi Sam:-) Just wanted to let you know that your delightful birthday organizer has arrived and I just love it! You put in so much work into making it and it really is gorgeous. Thank you so much, I'm thrilled to have been one of your OWOH winners:-) xo

Anonymous said...

I had a day trip around there last year. Loved the place but did not go to the spa. Wish I did now. Sounds like I missed something good.